Course Learning Outcomes

How/if I achieved Course Learning Outcomes (1-8):

Course Learning Outcomes are statements that writers would consider and follow in order to create a great writing piece. It takes creativity, time, peer editing and many more to achieve a writing piece.

1. Explore and analyze, in writing and reading, a variety of genres and rhetorical situations.

2. Develop strategies for reading, drafting, collaborating, revising, and editing.

3. Recognize and practice key rhetorical terms and strategies when engaged in writing situations.

4. Engage in the collaborative and social aspects of writing processes.

5. Understand and use print and digital technologies to address a range of audiences.

6. Locate research sources (including academic journal articles, magazine and newspaper articles) in the library’s databases or archives and on the internet and evaluate them for credibility, accuracy, timelines, and bias.

7. Compose texts that integrate your stance with appropriate sources using strategies such as summary, critical analysis, interpretation, synthesis, and argumentation.

8. Practice systematic application of citation conventions.

Every paper we were assigned, we had to explain the CLOs we used whether we were able to use them well or if we had trouble using them.

CLO #1:

This CLO says that we should analyze and explore genres and rhetorical situations in both reading and writing. In class, we analyzed many genres from poems to literary narratives to argumentative essays. We were able to look at many sources to differentiate and see how one reading could be improved. We did this as individuals or in groups and then shared it with the class. For example, in the reading Superman and Me by Sherman Alexie, there were many rhetorical elements being used. One main part would be the stance. In the text it states, “I learned to read with a Superman comic book. Simple enough, I suppose. Here, the author uses stance because in this part of the text I can analyze that many people tend to learn how to read based on a text they’re interested in.

CLO #2:

This CLO says that we need to create strategies in literature. We practiced this multiple times in group work and at home. When we were assigned to a task we would upload it on the discussion board and make sure to comment and critique on 3 other people so that other perspectives can help out. Even for draft of essays we would do a lot of peer editing.    

These are comments made by my classmate based on the literary narrative. We followed a checklist and compared and contrast our essays to those of Angelou, Alexie and Douglass since all were some type of literary writing.

CLO #3:

This CLO talks about recognizing and practicing rhetorical elements and strategies when engaged in writing situations. This was mainly done in our reflection papers. In each writing assignment we did, our draft and finals would include reflection papers based on the CLOs we have learned and used in the assignment.

CLO #4:

This CLO talks about engaging in collaborative and social writing aspects. This includes peer review that we do often in class and the discussion board as well. Also, some classmates keep in contact just incase one needs help or has a question.

CLO #5:

This CLO says to understand different medias in print and technology in order to reach the audience. In class, we used many different medias from print (essay, articles) to powerpoint presentation toward the end of the semester.

CLO #6:

This CLO is to locate research sources including websites, Ebooks and the library. We used a lot of websites when it comes to writing a paper for we research on the internet. Ebooks were difficult to find and use since there wasn’t a wide variety of reliable resources. As for the library, today’s generation doesn’t really rely on print books but more of online research.

CLO #7:

This CLO says to compose texts that holds your stance with appropriate sources. We practice and used this when writing the three major papers (literary narrative, argumentative essay and expository essay).               

The photo above shows my critical analysis and summarization of our last assignment of the argumentative essay and powerpoint presentation. For our presentation, I wrote down key elements and summarizations of my argumentative essay on the impact of sports on children. I referred to this piece often as I presented my powerpoint.

CLO #8:

This CLO is to practice systematic application of citation conventions. To me, I thought I understood how to use and make citations but it turned out to be pretty difficult. We had to follow MLA format. In my argumentative essay I was not supposed to list the citations in bullet form and I also needed hanging indentation. Overall, I didn’t do well in citations.